Sunday, June 1, 2014

X-Wing: Upgunning the Firespray

While we know the Firespray is a capable gunship - able to mount a heavy laser or ion cannon (or if you want to waste points, the autoblaster) - the actual model looks a tad...undergunned.


Now maybe Slave 1 has its heavier guns mounted behind panels to hide from wary eyes but my Imperial prisoner transport Firespray is under no such compulsion.  Luckily fixing those weedy blasters isn't hard.




A little plastic rod and a couple of flat plastic pieces to serve as armor panels and now my Imperial Firespray (this thing needs a name at some point doesn't it?) has a bit more impressive looking weapons.  I drilled out the mounting points and the backs of the guns to glue in a very thin plastic rod (called pinning), this gives the join more contact surface area for the glue to work and keeps them from sliding down right off before the the glue cures.

I used polystyrene cement so I hope the plastic FFG uses is compatible.  We'll see later if it cures.  Tomorrow I'll brush on some gray primer and it'll be ready to start painting.





The right gun has a twin barrel and the left gun is a single longer barrel (heavy laser) with a targeter above it.  I prefer the asymmetrical lengths and configurations and drilled out the heavy laser barrel slightly so I can do a little weapon glow in there.  I had considered using a heavier gauge plastic for the heavy laser but it was starting to approach turbolaser-scale if I get much bigger.  My CR90 would start getting jealous at that point and demand to be converted as well.

A quick little conversion, somehow it just seems "right" now.  You know, this same thing could be done on a shuttle...

No comments:

Post a Comment